Sunday, March 15, 2015

Day 27 - The Burlesque Show

When I think about burlesque, I think about lightly erotic elegance. Like Moulin Rouge. It's not vulgar, it's sexy and retro. The costumes and lingerie are beautiful, the women have pale white skin and red lips and wavy hair. It's a comedy and show that makes you smile. Burlesque makes you feel happy, entertained and brings out love.

It was Sophy's last birthday day and her actual Birthday. She decided to go to a burlesque show which I found genius. The show was in the village in a small club. We got seats upstairs on the balcony on the side right above the stage. Entrance was $20 which isn't bad at all and the cocktails were delicious. Everyone was very nice and elegant and I felt like I was back in the 30's.

The show had a host who was hilarious. He has the slicked-back jet-black hair, a tuxedo and the 30's accent. His jokes were kinky, but in a nice respectful way. That was in the beginning of the show. Towards the end, his jokes were highly disgusting and he was getting into to much sexual details of the human body parts. And about his bi-sexuality too. I am not against it, but I don't need to know the details of a stranger's sexual encounters.

The show started in a modern tone. A girl was dressed as a robot ballerina and danced around the floor as a robot would. I love the music. But it wasn't in the burlesque style that I know. The next performance was a woman tying herself up to a rope and performing acrobatic "stuff" in the air. It was Cirque de Soleil style and I loved it. Then there was a man and a woman (she was Russian and I guess she needed a visa desperately) performing with knives. She stood by a wooden panel and he threw knives at the edges of her body, not hurting her. His precision was impeccable. At the end of his performance, he was blind-folded and managed to throw knives around her body.

It was more like a circus than a burlesque show. Some feathered costumes came up, but it was mostly modern light stripping. The thing I did not like or felt that did not belong into the show was a man completely stripping on the stage. In his first performance he came out as a big hot dog and in the end covered his private part with a cowboy hat. In his second performance he came out as a carpenter (?) and took everything off and proudly displayed his gift from God. I did not like that and I felt it did not belong there.

The girl who dressed like a robot in the beginning came out in a bling bra and shorts and started dancing around. People started to put dollar bills in her lingerie. I expected men to that, but shockingly, most of her donors were women. I thought for a bit... She was an amazing dancer, probably a ballerina. What happened in her life that she had to do this. Isn't this humiliating? Being touched by random people and putting dollar bills in the most private parts of your body like a product. People starring at you. I found it sad. And I felt sorry for her. The girl did a round in the bar and then came upstairs. She now didn't even have her bra on, just those stickers on her nipples. She walked around with a hat asking for more dollar bills. We didn't give her anything. She then asked us if we were celebrating a birthday and we pointed at Sophy. She grabbed Sophy, pushed her breasts on her and gave her a big hug. Well I would freak out.

After the break, there was a new show with a new host. Again a guy, but now he had glasses and was tall. He was exactly my type. He had a ring on his finger indicating he was married. He was funny, not at all arrogant. But then he made a joke and pulled out his testicle for everyone to see. I wondered what his wife must think of this.

Even though I mostly criticized the show, I liked it. It was entertaining and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. But I could feel the life tragedies, the desperate way of making a living. And this made me feel even more grateful.





















No comments:

Post a Comment