2nd day of work. 7 minute walk to the subway station, 24 minute train ride, 15 minute walk to work amongst crowds and crowds of people in the Penn Station that is being overlooked by the U.S. Military. Yup, they stand there. Everyday, all day. On the sides of the halls and watch you. Along with other cops and the MTA security. If a terrorist wanted to commit an attack, this is the place. It's a bit creepy.
I got to work, sat at my desk, had more training, still blowing my nose over and over again. Lunchtime flew in what to me was like an hour, but in reality it was 3. I didn't have lunch with me, was too sick to cook. I decided I'll walk around the neighborhood and discover. However due to the cold, there's not much discovering going on. Two blocks up, I found a sandwich place called Pret-A-Manger. It had healthy prepared foods - salads, sandwiches, paninis and baguettes. I chose a chicken mozzarella baguette. It wasn't that big, maybe like 3/4 of the ones in Bageterie Boulevard. $ 8.something. Uff. But it was delicious. Not worth the price but good. Well, tomorrow I'll find another place. Like there's a lack here. :D
5 P.M. hit and I went home. Once again, through crowds of people, through the labyrinth of Penn Station to my subway train, watch the people riding it and trying to figure out their lives. I already am a champ and ride with my headphones in my ears. But that's only because all the stations have their names on the wall. If not, I would be lost, the conductors announce the stations like this: "1-2-hm hmth station, please hmhm the doors, hmhmhmmm closing." Beeeeeep. Moses help me. I also get into the stage of power napping on the subway because I'm tired. I am SO tired it's not funny. It's kind of a meditation. I listen to my music and just get into a different universe. I don't close my eyes, still watch the people, but if you were talking to me, I wouldn't know.
All of a sudden my "meditation" was interrupted by a woman's voice. It was confident but nice. She was announcing something but it wasn't an emergency. I heard words like "need" and "please" and "my child". I lowered the volume but didn't take my headphones off. I couldn't see her but I heard her. She had it all prepared, the whole dialogue. But her story kind of touched me. I didn't hear the beginning but she said that she applied for child support for some reason and food stamps and that her son was 1 years old. The city? or government? did not approve and she was now doing everything she could to make a living. She even had the documents to prove people she wasn't a scam. She asked for food cans, not money. But who carries food cans in the subway. Usually people buy these things in their neighborhood. I couldn't decide. I had a few dollar bills in my wallet and I couldn't decide if it was true or not. I generally don't give money to beggars because I know that it'll go into booze and/or drugs. If I feel for them I give them a cigarette. It's mean, I know, but I have reasons and experience. However I decided I'll give her at least a dollar, maybe 2. You can't really get a can for a dollar these days. She walked into my view. She was tall, nicely dressed but worn out clothes. Not the cleanest, but what do you expect. Some people gave her money, and when they did, she showed them the papers. She was saying that she and her son were hungry and grateful for any type of food. But I looked at her and she didn't seem hungry to me. She even had a belly! I hid my money and looked away.
Once she passed I felt bad. I really did. I actually wanted to run after her and give her the 2 dollars. But I just couldn't. There was something that I didn't feel was right. I don't believe that the state will not help you. I know it's hard. But I am of the opinion that if you have a child, at least that child gets help. Who was with the 1 year old boy while she was begging? Wouldn't the social workers take him away. I mean they do it here all the time and even for nonsense. They take hoarders' kids away! This hit me hard. I realized that maybe her story was true. And if it was, I better work my ass off and get some savings because I can't end up like this. Money here flies out of your hands, you don't even realize it.
Well, that is life. And I had to put myself together. I was about to go for dinner with Amy's best friend and I wanted to be on my finest and funniest and cutest behavior. For this friend of Amy's was very cute and intelligent. Nope people, this was not a date. But I was attracted to this man and it seemed that he was into me too.
His name is Sergio. He's 2 years older than me, originally from Honduras, but born in the Bronx. A true New Yorker. Now he lives two blocks away from our apartment. He works in the legal department and if I hang out with him often enough, my English shall be divine. Sergio uses "long" words. Him and Amy knew each other since preschool and we met the night I met the comedian - Gerald. He came over the other night and we exchanged numbers. Since Sergio has a car, I asked him for a ride to Jersey on Sunday for some shopping. He graciously agreed as the gentleman he really is. And since then, we text everyday, all day. The longest I went without a text from him or vice versa was probably two hours. Yes ladies, he is the delight. For now. I don't know him enough yet of course.
I asked Sergio if we could go to a pizza place in our area. I had to finally try New York pizza. He told me that we could go to a fancy place or a regular one. I asked for a regular. I had to start saving. So Sergie (yes, I call him Sergie sometimes) took me to a pizza ... shop? It wasn't really a restaurant, but more of a place where you order at the counter and then you sit down on those red and white chairs that crowded a plastic table. I was a little thrown off, because I did expect a restaurant, just not so expensive. You know, like Pizza Hut. Or Fridays. Nothing fancy schmancy. He asked me if I'd like to go to a different place. YES! Please. So we crossed the street. We got in to another place and honest to god it was worse. When it comes to cleanliness. "Poker face, poker face Agnes! This must be normal here!" my brain instructed. And so I threw on a smile. And it quickly became real because when I saw the pizza I didn't care where I was. Sergio asked me what I wanted. He recommended the calzone. He is such a gentleman that he recommends stuff in places like these. :D So I asked for a slice of pepperoni, my all time fav and a cheese calzone. Ahhh when will I learn! That was a mistake. In terms that the portions here a HUGE. A slice is really hard to finish, I don't why. But it was spectacular. The cheeeeese, the grease, the pepperoni. The tomato sauce and even the crust. Divine. I was covered in grease but I didn't care. I ate about half of the slice so I could keep room for the calzone. Now, I had calzone in Prague once and it was half empty. So since then I don't eat them because I consider them an optical illusion. This ... this was different. Sergio, once again the gentie he is sliced the calzone for me in half. It was stuffed with cheese. It was like you cut a fat person in half and he's stuffed with fat and that's all. I dipped it in marinara sauce and I was in heaven. For drinks I ordered a Grape Popsicle Soda. Not POP, SOOOODA. I loved it. I was soooo happy. Slobber my friends, slobber:
Since Sergio was kind enough to pay, I decided to invite him for drinks. We went back to 181st and Cabrini. And we talked and talked and talked. My attraction levels were hitting the sun. He was so smart and kind. And I could sense that this is real, not just him trying to get into my pants. Sergio is a delight. And so was the pizza. Perfect night. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment