Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Day 9 – First Day of Work

Day 9 was one of the most exciting days in my career. A dream of mine came true. After years and years of sitting in school and different offices I finally got where I wanted to be. In a cubicle in a big city working for a corporation. It might sound weird or boring to you, but this was my dream since I was super young. Like 12.

It all started in elementary school in Prague. I was in 8th or 9th grade. Our teachers started to discuss our future and we were supposed to choose the high school we would like to go to. For my American friends – high schools in the Czech Republic are very specific. You either go to a gymnasium, business academy or special qualifications schools – so hair stylist, electrician, carpenter etc. When the teacher asked me what I wanted to do, I said I want to be a manager. I saw myself in an office wearing a suit. I could see skyscrapers from the office view and it was supposed to be in the U.S. Preferably Chicago. My teacher just smiled and recommended me to go to a Business Academy, which I did. Best days of my life.

In order to fulfill my dream, I decided to go to an American college in Prague against my father's will. My Dad always wanted me to go to a Czech university. They were for free and the education has high standards. But sometimes they are not good enough for jobs in the U.S., so my BA. from a Czech school would be in most cases absolutely useless here. I went to Anglo-american, then moved to Pennsylvania, then back to Prague College … well, you know the story. When I came back from Pennsylvania, I felt like a failure. I intended to stay there, but I couldn't. I was disappointed. I told myself I'll come back „home“, but this little voice in the back of my head just shook it's head in disapproval.

I finished my BA. in Prague, got a job in a corporation and started the corporate life. But it wasn't enough. Plus, my manager was a royal a-hole. I had to leave. After that, I was 10 months unemployed. I thought my life is over and I'll never be where and what I wanted to be. I started up my own business, quite successful in the beginning, but declining after Christmas. I think that it was also my laziness. I just wasn't up for it enough. I needed a stable pay and the fact that my Daddy paid for my rent just demotivated me. So I started to go for interviews. For 3 – 4 months, everyone said „no“ to me. I didn't understand. I was always wanted. But the crisis hit CZE hard and English just wasn't enough. Now-a-days, they want Dutch, German, Danish, Swedish, Romanian etc etc... I was STUCK. Until one day, I was invited to an interview and long story short I got the job.

I worked my butt off. I loved the job. It was stressful, non-stereotypical, adventurous and everyday there was something else going on. The pay? Meh.. well, you gotta do what you gotta do. So I took on other jobs – I wrote articles, I started to get business into my company, I translated and taught English. I slept in average for 4 hours. But I was happy.

One day I got a business offer from a friend regarding my business. I was supposed to do it in Florida. Sun, beaches, cocktails and business. Perfect. We started planning. Into detail. Tons of planning, apartment arranging, car arranging, this and that arranging. When everything was a settled and clear, I got my air ticket, informed my supervisor I am out and about in January and told my landlord and signed off the lease. I was excited and ready to go back home and spend some time in the sun. Only concern was the hurricanes. :D

5 days after my air ticket purchase my friend of 5 years wrote me that the deal is off. And blocked me. Everything shattered. All of it. The beaches, the work and my trust in people. I was done. And that's how I got my job in New York. My supervisor put it on the table. She basically saved me. Along with another colleague of mine. I went through the interview process and now I'm here.

Ahhh first days of work. The first day is always the most stressful. Getting there on time, wearing the right outfit and hoping you'll fit in. Hoping that your colleagues will like you. You know how it goes when someone new comes in. I was always off-standish to newbies. But my colleagues basically already knew me, just didn't know my face. So it wasn't that „awkward“. I arrived to the office, got introduced, got my own desk – cubicle. My dream did come true. I have the typical American cubicle in a beautiful office with a downtown view. I finally made it.

The best part is the walk to work. I get off at 34th (of course) and walk two blocks up. On my way I meet Macy's and the Empire State Building stretches in the morning sun. I am truly downtown. It can't get more New-Yorkey than this. The con is the amount of people. There are sooo many people that it's not even funny. I feel like a car on a highway, switching lanes aggresively. People don't say anything, but they give you a look. A nasty one because I walk in their way. But there's no other way to do it! 



I sat in my cubicle, did my work. It's very administrative and you have to think. Basically inputting information in the system and solving clients' problems via email. The usual office rat stuff. For lunch I had Velveeta mac and cheese and the Boloni salad. Me and my new supervisor talked for a bit, but I was shy. And then back to work. Nonstop. Even though the environment isn't so stressful like in my previous job, you work nonstop. You sit at your desk in the morning and you stop at lunch and then again till 5 P.M. Time flies here. It warps. I am pleased.



The office is very diverse when it comes to people. Most are Spanish speaking. But we have a Danish girl and our boss is Dutch. Again, all of them have stories. I don't know them, they didn't tell me anything but you can see it. All of my colleagues are girls, except for our boss. And most of them have children. They look very young, my age. They're very mature and quiet. For now.

At the end of the day, I was quite exhausted. I was still sick, which was humiliating, because when my supervisor explained something to me, all I would do all the time was blow my nose. Or cough. Boogers everywhere. Fuj. :D To be honest, I got home and just fell into bed. But I was happy. Finally back to work after almost 4 weeks of vacation. It was getting into my head. I was going nuts. But now I'll be fine again. All I need is a routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment