Rise and shine to another sunny day in New York. I don't know what it is, but the sun shines here like in the Alps. I am literally missing the mountains here. Anyway, Day 4 meant "date-night" with The Comedian - Gerald Torregosa (yes, you can Google him and he's even on YouTube). I was quite excited. Gerald promised to take me around the comedy clubs and show me his performances. I watched him on YouTube and he is a hoot and a holla.
But my date was in the evening so I was just chilling at home. All of a sudden I got a call from an unknown number. I picked it up and a man told me that my luggage was in New York and that he'll deliver it within 2 hours. I was feeling super jolly. I can now actually dress up for my date! And the next day I was supposed to have a meeting at work, so I can finally pull out my dresses and handbags! My mood went up to the sky.
Just so you know, if you decide to move abroad today, you are allowed to take one suitcase, maximum weight of 23 kg. That is when you get a cheap ticket like me, which most of us do. Fitting your whole life into 23 kg is not the easiest thing to do. But with the experience of moving in total of 17 times and the expertise of my mother, we somewhat managed to fit in 2 pairs of shoes, 3 handbags, most of my winter clothes, cosmetics, medicine and my documents. Oh, and a pillow and cover with sheets. Weight - 32 kg, but oh well. It was really all the necessary stuff and as you've read before, I took ONLY 3 handbags, which for me is a disaster. Especially if you're going to New York, basically the capitol of fashion.
My suitcase arrived, I checked if it was mine, signed the papers and went. The man didn't even help me take it up (I live in the 3rd floor). So I took more than half of my weight up but the adrenalin of excitement fueled me. That was soon to be substituted with utmost anger. When I opened up my suitcase, my handbags were gone. And so was my nail polish. They went through my medicine and one of the herb bottles wasn't secured, so it partially spilled over my new dress. I thought I was about to faint. My two favorite handbags. Gone. Never coming back. When it comes to handbags, they are my children. I carefully select them, make sure no one has them and that they are unique. I am a quick shopper, but handbag shopping can take me up to 2 weeks. And I do spend money on them. I shouldn't, but I do. I love them. These two were my brown Coach bag which many of my girlfriends admired (yes girls! that one! they stole that one!!!!!) and the new grey Mohito bag, which even my boss liked! I don't understand why someone would steal nail polish, I really don't. The suspect is obvious, a woman. A horrible primitive selfish woman who is supported on food stamps and probably weighs 200 lbs. One day lady.. one day you'll get it back. Enjoy my bags, but they are cursed now and shall haunt you forever! They'll cause you nightmares and you'll become a severe shopaholic and get in so much debt that you'll loose your house and everything. And all you'll have are these bags that caused you this hell and you'll try to get rid of them, but they shall play with you forever and ever and ever.
I cried and screamed. I called the airlines and cried into the phone and them yelled. And then apologized because it wasn't the woman's fault on the phone. And she could feel my pain and was apologizing. And yes, I called my Dad. I always do when there's something bad. He gets mad and destroys everyone who hurt me. I love it, he's just Jigsaw. Anyway! Total costs of claimed lost items - over 500 bucks. Yes. I probably won't get that. But I'll fight for it and I'll make sure everyone knows. U.S. Airways loveys. Thus all.
So there I am with my mood all in the basement and even lower. And now I have this date. I unpacked but on some make-up and decided to wear my batman shirt and blazer, since I'm meeting up with a funny person. I hopped on the subway and played happy motivating music through my headphones to control and calm down my brain and especially my now broken heart.
We met up on 43rd and 8th. I got lost, the poor thing had to find me. Lately, I've always been getting lost. He took me up to an old building that hosted shows. There were about 6 people there and then comedians waiting in line to perform. It was a sad place, but very classic. Gerald took me around. There were other rooms where people would practice their performances. And not only comedians, but actors practicing their plays. We sat down in one room and he started to tell me what his life was like.
As it usually is, comedians are happy and funny on stage, sad and negative off stage. Gerald was real. He was just being real. Gerald is a realtor throughout the day and makes people laugh at night. He told me that there are too many comedians in New York and it is hard to get a gig. He told me that I shouldn't expect him to be a big star or that he's not famous. All of this I've known, I was just interested in his life and well-being. He also was a host on a radio. Gerald let me know right off the bat that he isn't a multimillionaire which I didn't expect also. He was very about himself and presented himself in a selfish way. That is what New York can do to do. For some or most, life is very very difficult. People come here to fulfill their dream, as did Gerald and pay a high price for it. I assume that only a few get their dream come true. However one thing did anger me a bit. Gerald wasn't at times speaking about the city and people nicely. Of course, he had his experience. But I on one hand did not want to hear it because I just got hear and want to be happy and positive. And even naive, as long as it gets me through my first months. On the other hand, I didn't understand his complaining. He live alone in Brooklyn. ALONE - that is a dream here. He had a nice belly, so enough food I suppose. His jacket was nice and warm, and he had a warm sweater and underneath a very nice black button-up shirt. His hair was brushed backed and secured with gel and he was clean and smelled nice. What was there to complain about then? He basically had everything. Ok, the working hours are difficult and long, but he had a place to live and managed to pay his bills. There is nothing to complain about. Life is hard, being an artist is even harder. But that is life and you choose it that way.
Gerald then took me to the Comic Strip Live club. This was a nicer place with a bar and pictures of comedians that used to perform there. Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Seinfeld and more had their beginnings here. I took quick pictures, didn't want to look like a tourist or Russian spy.
We waited by the bar until it was Gerald's turn. Some comedians would come and say hi. There was a Jewish woman getting ready for her performance, so I told her the "What happens to a Jew, when he has an erection and hits the wall? He breaks his nose!" joke. She didn't laugh. Just gave me a judgmental smile and turned away. "Ooookkkay sister, I tried!" I thought to myself. Then walked in this tall man. He was from India and looked like a tall skinny Indian version of Mr. Bean. He came in and the room lit up. He was very friendly and came to me and introduce himself. I didn't get his name, started with an S, but later found out that it was Sandip Buch. We started talking and he was from Chicago. Immediately, I felt safe. He asked me how long was I in New York. "5 days" I said. He gave me a high-five. I wanted to hug this person. I asked him if he was only a comedian or also had a day job like Gerald. Sandip was a psychiatrist. Yes. A psychiatrist by day, comedian by night. I was wowed. This was an amazing experience. Sandip's jokes were sophisticated, intellectual and just ... cute. He used medical terms, but them funny. I hope to see him more. If you Google him, you'll find his medical experience and he sounds like a very serious MD. After his performance I shook his hand and complimented him.
Gerald then took me to the Chirpy Chicken. A fast-food with apparently the best chicken meals in town. And it was. The portions were so huge, I had the meal for lunch and dinner the next day. And the price? $ 6.something. Their salad was amazing too. I told Gerald I'll be going there more often and he laughed. It was because there are so many places in New York, that the ones you like you might visit 2x a year. He told me I'll get it. Soon.
On the way home, I saw a sign, that reminded me of a club in Prague. New York has a Lucerna too! But a fancy one. Of course. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment