Saturday, April 4, 2015

Day 33 - The Story of Jane

Today was a very special day. Not for me, but for my Ma. It was her Birthday. A week before I sent her a postcard with a picture of Manhattan and drew 2 dots on it. One said "Where I work." and the other "Where I live." The night before her Bday I ordered flowers online. It took me FOREVER to choose the nicest ones and to make sure they come on time, since it was 2 days before V-day and flower shops were out of stock and/or super busy. But they got there.

I think my Mother's life story is quite fascinating and it should be published as a book and then movie. Most Mothers have a special story, but as I daughter I think mine's quite unique. I also think and know my Mommy is the most beautiful Mommy and who knows her or saw will agree. ;) I even had guy friends flirt with her. One of my friends told me that if I look like her when I'm older then he'll marry me. :D

My Mother was born in the eastern part of the Czech Republic or at that time Czechoslovakia. She was born in a small town in Moravia. The town was calm, her house had a huge garden where they would grow veggies and they had a field my Grandpa would take care of. It was a peaceful place. And that bored my Mother. She told me she would stand in front of her house as a younger girl and watch planes in the sky and wish she could fly away one day. She needed to get out but to her flying in a plane is to me like flying into space - never happening!

She attended a top Art's School in her town and then was accepted to the best Art University in Prague. She rented a studio in the basement, slept on a mattress that was placed on bricks and was happy she got heat and rats would scurry inside the floor. It was a tough time, but she knew it wasn't forever. Later on she started working and times got better. She would go to galleries, had great friends from school and would go for trips into the country.

One night she attended a gallery with her friend. A tall man with ginger hair and Lennon glasses started talking to her. He said he was an architect and they talked and walked through the gallery all night. It was my father.

My parents dated for awhile and got very serious. They wanted to get an apartment but thanks to communism, it was not possible. They started to get sick of the regime. You couldn't read the books you wanted, listen to Western music (my Mom would go to "illegal" basement Led Zeppellin parties) or get an apartment. And so they decided to run. It was one of the most riskiest plans my parents probably made. They couldn't tell anyone. Not even their parents. One day, they just had to leave. They took a bus trip that was a tour to Germany, Denmark and back. Their plan was to stay in Denmark. My Ma told me that the night before she left was nerve-wrecking. She couldn't pack everything since that would be suspicious. To me the worst part was that she couldn't say bye to her family. She had a very close bond with her Mother and she couldn't say anything. Imagine that, and you don't even know when you'll see your Ma the next time and if you even will. Once you're out, you can't come back.

With one suitcase and a couple of Francs in their pockets, my parents booked it. They got to Denmark and decided to go back to Germany because Denmark was just too expensive. On a stop in Germany they got off the bus, hid in the bathrooms and waited for the bus to leave. Once they were sure all was good (a few hours) the first thing that popped in their head was "Now what?".

Long story short my parents managed to get a job in Germany and live a nice life. They got married in Germany and my Ma's Mother got to come to the wedding. My Dad still however had his dream of being an architect in the U.S. And so they saved up and left. My Ma did her pottery and my Dad worked in a firm. Few years later they had me. My Ma stayed home with me. Thanks to her I had a great childhood and am the person I am. And I realize that especially today living in NYC where mothers have to go to work. We were lucky that my Dad could take care of us so that my Ma could stay home. My Ma would play with me, I had a little house and we would make plays for my plush toys. She would let me sleep with her at night, she would draw with me, take me to galleries and museums. Every year we would go see Cirque de Soleil. I had a childhood full of fantasy worlds.

When I was 10, my parents decided to go back. My Dad wanted his own firm and he got more opportunities from the Czech Republic. There was a revolution there when I was 3 and the country was on the rise. For me it was a shocker. But my Ma was there for me and I survived.

Today my parents have a nice life. My Dad keeps working and will probably never stop. My Ma takes care of his Ma and sister who are both sick. She is an angel. Truly a hero. The best part is that even though times are hard, she still maintains in being a lady. She will never curse, she always makes sure she is dressed properly and in style. I think she is the Mommy from the story books. I am highly lucky to have her. I can tell her anything and everything. She is also a great radar for boys. :D I love her and only her.



No comments:

Post a Comment