Monday, February 2, 2015

Day 12 - Pigeons

Saturday. I slept in. My body was recharged and ready. The weather was grey, cold with a few snowflakes. Perfect for depression. Luckily, Sergie promised to take me to Fairway. And the next day he promised to take me to Jersey for shopping. 

He picked me up after lunch. Every time he takes me somewhere, I get a chance to look around. On the way to the car we walked past a gas station. I started laughing. The price amused me. 


The price isn't 239, it's 2.39 $. Per gallon. Just to compare, my papa calculated that a gallon of gas costs cca 8 $ in the Republic. Yes yes, be in envy. 

Anywhoooo, we walked to the car and once again I looked up. I guess NY decided to amuse me. 


Those are pigeons. Flying rats. In PRG they're skinny or missing feet and are super sick. They're super sick too, but damn are they fat! (Surprise! :D) They aren't so annoying, but I'll confirm that in the summer. I think that there are approximately 3 pigeons per 1 New Yorker. As I said though, I'll confirm in the summer.

I was excited to go to Fairway. Fairway is a 'normal' supermarket. Sergio said so. Nothing like our local Bravo, which is like a Lidl and Delvita. He told me that it had fresh fruits and veggies and the bread is amazing. 

Fairway is located a few blocks down from us, not in a walking distance though. We drove under a bridge and stopped on an intersection to turn left into the parking lot. Except I didn't see a parking lot. Where would it fit?


On the left side of the pic, you can see a brown building. That's it. My stomach turned. "No no no, trust Sergio, it's like the pizza restaurant, it'll be awesome." my brain comforted me. 

The outside was horrendous, but the inside was gorgeous. The fruits and veggies were really fresh. They had arugula and dried tomatoes which I could not find in out neighborhood (some people didn't even know what a sun-dried tomato is). The pastry and bread was fresh and they still had my favorite Cheetos (if you don't have Flamin' Hot Cheetos, I am not a regular customer of yours!). The prices were in the higher range, but that's what you pay for being healthy. I bought whole wheat bagels and ingredients for my Spaghetti Alio Olio w/them damn tomatoes. I was happy once again. 

I called this day Pigeons, because I felt like a pigeon in the store picking the food I wanted to consume. And so were the other people. Just pigeons walking around and bobbing their heads, checking what to buy, the quality etc. Huddled in one group in the bread section, huddled in another group waiting in line for the deli.

I love Fairway. And thank you Sergio!



No comments:

Post a Comment