Sunday, February 22, 2015

Day 19 - My First Hailed Cab

I woke up early, ready to go to work. Put my face on, brushed my teeth and dressed up. I thought it'll be a regular day. But the city had other plans for me ...

I got on the A train at 181st. As always, the train was packed. We kept getting stuck in stations and I started to get annoyed. Before 145th, we got stuck in the tunnel. I started to panic. I am a slight claustrophobic and I do not like to get stuck in small places especially underground. My mind went into fantasy mode. I felt like the ground above us is going to crush us. I could feel that we were running out of air. Little drops of sweat started to trinkle down my forehead. "There goes the make-up." I thought. What seemed like half an hour was 5 minutes. The train started to slowly move, got into the station and came to a complete halt. "We are experiencing delays, the train in front of us has technical issues." the announcer mumbled through the speaker. Another 5 minutes went by and we didn't move. I looked at the time. It was 8:40 am. I was definitely going to be late. I decided to improvise. This was my test. I got off the train and decided to take a bus. When I got outside into the trembling cold, I found a bus stop right next to the subway entrance. Thank god! I felt lucky. I checked the time table which informed me that the bus was arriving in 10 minutes. Perfect. Because I was so stressed, I lit up a ciggy. Aaahhhh, the bliss. 15 minutes passed by and no bus. I watched people around me and noticed  that they were hailing cabs. I wondered that there has to be a reason. Not many people were waiting for the bus. There must be something wrong. I waited another 5 minutes. Still no bus. 

I got mad. It was 9 already. My eyes started to hunt for an atm. I decided to take out money and hail a cab. Excitement rushed through my veins. People would always tell me its dificult to hail cabs in NYC. Either they don't stop or others steal them away from you. Challenge accepted. If I can do this, I am a step closer to becoming a New Yorker. I spotted an atm, took out some money and started walking down the street to get ahead of other people waiting for cabs. I chose a strategic position. The ground was icy and slippery. And then my heart sank. I was far enough from other hailers but also far from the bus stop. The bus I needed passed me with a roar. I couldn't run because I'd kill myself on the ice. I started to curse under my breath. I felt like crying. Despair and helplessness crawled through my brain and body. I felt stupid. I walked slowly back to the corner of the street when I saw a cab. He was parked on the other side and was empty. We got into eye-contact and my hand flew to the sky. He acknowledged me. And so did a lady next to me. I ran. I didn't care about cars in the street or the ice. I ran for my life. Hand-bag dangling violently on my arm, hair flying around. I must of looked crazy, but I didn't care. This is my first cab and it's mine. I reached for the door handle and threw myself in like a football player throws himself down while touchdown. I won. I survived. I got my first cab! I told him the office address and he started tod drive. Relief. And warmth. We drove a few blocks and turned to Central Park West. The street is gorgeous. It looks like Paris. We passed ladies holding their little dogs and doormen hailing cars for them, old elegant men in coats or suits. Or blonde bombshells covered in Dior, Chanel and balancing on Louboutins. I was in a movie. But this movie took 40 minutes. I was texting my boss updates and feeling embarrassed by being so late. We finally reached the end and turned left to 50th Street. I looked up and saw the Empire Hotel sign. As a Gossip Girl fan my heart skipped. This is where Chuck Bass would live! And so I toon a picture: 


It was fabulous. But I had no time. I remembered that the 1 train stops on 50th street and takes me to work. Therefore I stopped the cab and told him I'm out and how much is going to be. "20 bucks please!" What???!!! I couldn't get more frustrated so as a New Yorker I threw the bill at him and with sarcasm said "Keep the change!" and got out. All I heard was him saying "I'm sorry!" before slamming the door. It felt good though. I felt like I did it the way I saw in the movies. :)))

I arrived to work exactly an hour late. I made up my time so I stayed in the office till 6. It sucked. 

And so this is how New York treated me on a nice Thursday morning. I was soon to realize that I better get used to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment